I have always been a bit of a “scaredy cat”. When I was little I slept with my sister, and throughout the night if she got up to use the bathroom I would follow her, sit on the edge of the tub, wait until she was finished, and then I would follow her back to bed. I was afraid of the dark and did not like to be alone. Now, I am no longer afraid of the dark, but I have other fears to overcome.
The most recent is being able to ride my bike on the edge of the road and not be terrified that someone is going to run over me in their vehicle. Every time someone passes me on the road while I am riding my bike, I cringe until they pass. Sometimes I hurry and get all the way off the road.
I also cycle down this stretch of road with a bayou running alongside of it. The bayou is full of snakes and some alligators. I am afraid that I might run over a snake with my bike or meet an alligator on the road. Just this morning while walking with my walking buddy, we came across a very alive cotton mouth in the middle of the road. We were not sure if we would be able to go around it, but a car came by just in time and ran over it. We still made a very large space between it and us.
Nonetheless, I refuse to give in to my fears. I will conquer them! My fears will not dictate my life! What about you? Do you have some crazy fears to conquer? How do you do it?
Dear meboolou I was scared of flying but not no morw the way to over come your fear is to have great friend's by your side. I am glad u not scaerd of the dark no more hehe =) love carmencita
ReplyDeleteI have fears I have to conquer everyday it seems like. If I sense fear or panic coming on I stop and break it down into the worst case senario. Even after arriving at the worst case scenario I find my fears are mostly far fetched!
ReplyDeleteThomas Jefferson said, "How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened."
As for the snake, try a very long stick....I was walking Woodland trails in Belle Chasse when on the way back there was a long cottonmouth blocking the trail. I had no one with me and it was between me and the way back to my car. I picked up a very long peice of dead brush and reached over and poked the snake. He or she very quickly slithered off into the brush.
Wow Melba has a blog ...maybe thats a fear I need to overcome...starting one too!!
ReplyDeleteHope all goes well in your training, and remember you are biking with a couple of pros, so they know the ropes....take their advice!!We don't want anything to happen to you!
Betsy