After searching the Internet, and arming myself with a list of healthier supplies, we headed to Walmart and Wholefoods.
Here was the things I wanted:
Baking Soda (I already had on hand)
White Vinegar (I already had on hand)
Borax (Found at Walmart)
Washing Soda (Found at Walmart)
Fels Naphtha Soap (Found at Walmart)
Essential Oils (I ended up getting peppermint, lavender, and tea tree oil for now)
Coconut Oil (This is good for all sorts of stuff)
Arrow Root Powder (sort of like cornstarch in the baking section)
Vegetable Glycerin (I ended up not using this-it was sort of a waste-I'm gonna try to see what I can do with it)
A Few Empty Spray Bottles (Found at Walmart)
A 5 Gal Bucket with a Lid (Found at Walmart)
Lemons (From my mom's lemon tree-I planted one in the spring, but it's still trying to get established)
I also bought a few extra things not for cleaning. My big sister introduced me to pure Elderberry Syrup for colds. It really does help! It's all natural and contains no alcohol (which is a must for Kass)
So here is a photo of my purchases:
We made soap, deodorant, and toothpaste (although I'm not giving up my fluoride toothpaste-I don't quite feel comfortable with that).
Here is a link for the deodorant recipe we made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar0BF6hMuGE. It really works! We love this particular recipe.
You can find the recipe for the laundry detergent at http://plainoldkristi.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-soap-step.html. I made mine a little bit different, but it made a little more detergent. I used 1 cup of washing soda, 1/2 cup of borax, 1 bar of grated Fels Naphtha, and essential oils, and 3 gallons of water. Besides that it is pretty much the same. I've even read some recipes that added OxiClean. Anyway experiment and have fun. It really is fun.
So now for some pictures.....
Looks like yall had a great time! Love carmencita
ReplyDelete