I thought that I would share with all of you this great site that my cousin told me about. If you are from the South, you can really appreciate the humor, recipes, and great personality of the cook. This site is Southernplate.com. I'm planning on purchasing the cookbook. Although, I'm sure the book will not help me keep my New Year's Resolution of eating healthier.
One particular post was really humorous. You must see this one. If you go to her site, then go to Southern Classics listed on the menu bar, and then scroll down to the post labeled Fried Bologna and other Southern Sandwiches. The potato chips on the sandwich was so funny, but I have seen plenty of people do this.
This post made me recall some of the crazy sandwiches I have eaten at home as a little kid (I was raised in Mississippi until I was 8 years old). Sandwiches like banana sandwiches (this was two slices of bread, smeared with Mayo, and then topped with banana slices. I really liked this sandwich when I was little. Of course, there is always the famous tomato sandwiches (the tomato's must be ripe and juicy). I still enjoy a good tomato sandwich.
I can also remember getting butter, smearing it on a piece of bread, and emptying the sugar bowl on top of it, then putting another slice of bread on top. This sandwich was usually made by me while my mother was not paying attention and was busy attending all my other little siblings.
After moving from Mississippi to Alabama, then to Louisiana, I discovered that people down here eat french fry po-boys. This sandwich can be dressed with everything (tomato's, mayo, mustard, pickles, lettuce, etc.), but the main ingredients are french fries and roast beef gravy. It's actually pretty good, but definitely not healthy.
Anyway, I enjoyed the site and thought you might, too. The cook really has a great personality and some good and easy recipes. So far, I have made her old fashion Hoe Cake, and it was really good. It's the first time that I have ever been able to make anything that resembled a good biscuit, and it really is easy and good.
I hope that you enjoy the site. Thanks to my cousin for sharing it with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment