Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Old Katrina Poem

The following poem was written by my oldest son, Gene, (who was at the time in his senior year of high school) on our way to Maryland after hurricane Katrina. He sat slumped down in the back seat getting sadder, angrier, and more upset as we traveled further and further from his beloved home town. He decided to write a poem, and this is what he wrote as we traveled to Maryland. He also wrote another one when we left Maryland and gave it to Sis. Libbey. When I find it, I will post it as well. Anyway, I came across this particular poem while I was cleaning out his closet last week and thought that I would share it in memory of the storm that changed our lives forever!


Katrina's Fury
by Gene Lay
It seems like yesterday,
I had a normal life.
Everything was going my way,
I had no big worries or strife.
My friends and I were playing ball,
The things we always do.
Hanging out at the mall,
And playing a game of pool or two.
Wondering about my favorite team,
Hoping the best for this year.
Winning the bowl would be my dream,
But loosing my greatest fear.
It just seemed like another one,
To pause our life shortly.
No one wants to jump the gun,
Little did we know this would be costly.
Talking to my friends,
Not realizing it would be the last.
It would put a halt to all my trends,
It all happened so fast.
This would be the beginning,
Of a nightmare that came true.
It feels like we're just pretending,
Like a rerun of the little one that just came through.
I left my house not too much in a hurry,
Grabbed a few clothes and was out the door.
When I got to the city, there was a bit of a scurry,
Got on the I-10--put the pedal to the floor.
When I finally reached Baton Rouge,
I greeted family and chilled out.
But, it wasn't till I cut on the news,
That I realized what this was about.
It was two hundred miles wide,
Went from a one to a five in three days.
Caused total destruction where millions abide,
And literally turned everything gray.
I love my hometown that's called the Big Easy,
I hope you can visit it somewhere down the road.
But while I'm here in D.C.
I'm gonna put on an extra jacket and enjoy the snow.

4 comments:

  1. Thats a really great poem!I didnt know he was a poet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats beautiful poem!!! i like the d.c. part.

    mckenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gene is very much a poet...he wrote all the time while he was up here. Please post more of his writings. Wait a minute...maybe you should publish it first. :) I love you all.

    ReplyDelete